Skip to main content

A Walk to Remember

We just returned from an enjoyable week with our oldest son.  He recently became a homeowner and this mom loaded up the car with her sewing machine and necessary gadgets and headed to Virginia.  During our visit, I made window treatments for 21 windows!  That's a mother's love for you!

Of course, games of Canasta, antique shopping, and site seeing also filled our days and nights.  One of my favorite towns is Port Royal, Virginia.  After dinner one night, we headed out the door and decided to walk off some of our calories in Port Royal's historic square.  It was a lovely evening with gentle breezes and low humidity.  Love low humidity!  I snapped a few pictures with my cellphone.  Established in the mid-17th century, Port Royal is a small, river town steeped in history.  Situated on the Rappahannock River, it was developed primarily as a site to export tobacco, the cash crop of Virginia.

The Holloway House is in need of lots of love and attention.  It was built in 1775 and owned by John Hipkins, a prosperous merchant in town.  Wouldn't you love to get your hands on this house?  The work would be enormous, but the reward of saving a home like this would be plentiful.  My guys posed for me!
Around the corner is an example of a nicely restored home.  This one was built in 1850.  The above ground power lines detract from the natural beauty of the home.  It would be wonderful if the town could bury the lines.
Next is a home built in 1755.  The owner, William Fox, secured the appropriate documents to operate a tavern from his home.  According to expense ledgers, George Washington spent the night in the taverns accommodations on three occasions.  How cool is that?  My photo did not turn out well so I am borrowing this one from the Historic Port Royal website. 
Just like the tavern, the house below built in 1865, is full of history.  One fateful night, John Wilkes Booth and four other men rode up on horseback, knocked on the door of the Peyton House and asked the mistress of the home, Sarah Peyton, if she would give them refuge.  She refused and the group traveled 3 miles down the road to the Garrett farm where John Wilkes Booth was eventually killed.  
Riverview, a home built in 1846, sits on the banks of the Rappahannock River.  It is a beautiful home and is one of the largest homes in Port Royal.  Crepe myrtles line the walk up to the house.  
Townfield was built between 1745-1750 and enlarged in 1790 and again in 1837.  It's a well maintained home and simply beautiful!
Love the colors of this home! Cats are everywhere in this town.  These two didn't mind me snapping a picture.  Notice how the front of the house bows inwards.  
This structure built in 1750 is labeled with a tavern sign, but was the town's print shop.  It is built as a shop and not a home.  Early enterprise at work!
Isn't this a cute home?  It was built in 1775 and is obviously well loved and cared for.  
We ended our walk at one of the newer homes in the area, just a young 109 years old!  It is also a home our son considered when he was house hunting.  When he found a house he was interested in, I would anxiously ask what year was the house built...1700's, 1800's, 1900's, 2000's?!!!  I adore old houses, but I know they are a lot of work.  This house was built in 1906 and has been in the same family for many generations.  He eventually decided against the home and a young couple ended up as the owners.  I am sure they will be happy there for many, many years!
Next time you find yourself in Virginia, stop by this historic town, park your car, and set out on your own walk to remember!
Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse 
Sharing with
Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/
Simply Sweet Fridays at http://rootedinthyme.blogspot.com/
Fridays at Imparting Grace at http://www.impartinggrace.com/
Sunday at It’s Overflowing at http://www.itsoverflowing.com/

Comments

  1. Great tour of Port Royal, Va! My husband and I just returned from a short trip through Virginia, up to Harpers Ferry, WV. {Will be posting our trip next week.} We stopped at most every little town along our way. I enjoyed the rich heritage and history, and all the downtowns still in operation! We missed Port Royal, but it looks like a lovely place as well! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Rhonda. You will have to catch it on your next trip to Virginia. Looking forward to your Harper's Ferry post! That's a great area as well. A friend of mine restored a home in a small town near Harper's Ferry. She said she it ruined her marriage, but saved an old house! I hate having our oldest son so far away from us, but he lives in such a beautiful area of the country. For a history lover like me, it is heaven! Have a great weekend!
      Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  2. You must not only be a great mother but a super seamstress...that's a lot of windows!

    My husband and a I took a long trip from D.C. through Virginia down to Asheville, where we own a condo. I have never seen a more beautiful state than Virginia and I sincerely mean that. Gorgeous!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet compliment, Jane! I am so thankful my mom taught me how to sew. My husband and I considered stopping in Asheville to see Biltmore, but ended up taking a different route. Asheville looks like a beautiful area as well. I bet you enjoy your time there. Enjoy your weekend!
      Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  3. Hello Lynda, I was unable to view any of your pictures, there is a box where the pics should be. Don't know if this just happened to me or to others also. Tried several of your posts, text but no pictures. Just thought you would like to know. Mickie
    p.s. sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mickie! I am not sure what is going on. Hopefully, I have it corrected soon!

      Delete
    2. It's fixed Mickie! Stop back by to actually see the historic homes of Port Royal, VA!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely historic old homes!! Years ago, we wanted to buy an old Victorian, but was never able to do so. Now keeping up with our modern ranch is almost more than we can handle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely historic old homes!! Years ago, we wanted to buy an old Victorian, but was never able to do so. Now keeping up with our modern ranch is almost more than we can handle!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot