Skip to main content

Our Mini Thanksgiving Vacation

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I spent the last four days in TN with my mom and dad, sister, and my niece.  I left Mr. Still Woods at home to take care of the family dogs, Lucky and Lucy, and to enjoy a few days of quiet before the family rolls in.  I arrived back home yesterday, just in time to greet my boys. One flew in from Virginia and the other drove down from Mississippi State.  It does this mom's heart good to have them back under the same roof!

I thought I would share a few pictures from my TN adventure.  If I could choose a place for a vacation home, TN would be high on the list.  As I shared with you before, we have spent two Thanksgivings in TN.  The men of the family like to stay home, but they did give in twice.  It was nice to spend some time with mom and dad.  They only had to separate my sister and me three times! 

We started our mini vacation with a trip to Dollywood. I didn't take this picture and it didn't snow while we were there, but isn't this chapel beautiful? It is located in the Craftsman's Valley at Dollywood.  My sister and I stopped by to hear Billy Hodges, formally of the Kingdom Heirs, sing for the crowd. 
Prior to heading to the chapel, we rode Dollywood's newest roller coaster, the Wild Eagle.  I must tell you that I prayed aloud as we started our 190 foot climb and according to my sister, screamed during the entire 2 minute and 22 second ride.  It was the right thing to do!  Why don't you come along for the ride?  I bet you will scream too!

Dollywood was decked out in her finest Christmas attire and the shows were fabulous. If you weren't in the Christmas spirit, you would be as soon as you entered the gates.   
We also stopped at the Apple Barn Cider Mill and General Store in Sevierville for lunch and on another day for one of their delicious apple turnovers and a cup of hot cider.  I took this picture before we headed into the Cider Bar for dessert.
My sister snapped this picture after we finished our Apple Barn treat.  This is my adorable niece with my mom and dad.  Isn't this a sweet picture?  
 No trip is complete without a trip to the Christmas Place.  It will make any Scrooge smile!
(Inside Pigeon Forge)

(Craze Shenanigans Blogspot)
On another day, we just meandered around the countryside.  We are a meandering type of family.  You never know what treasures you will find.  Here are just a few...
This is one of my favorite stops, but I am sad to say it is now for rent. It is called "Rebecca's Thymes" and Rebecca had an assortment of antiques, primitives, and Americana art.  I loved visiting with her whenever we stopped by.  She actually told me about me a few roads to travel that the locals use daily.  Handy in a busy town!
This is from the Old Mill area.  There are a few shops we like to visit and the view is fabulous.
We were getting a little hungry, so we stopped by the Old Mill Pottery House Cafe and Grille for lunch.  They have a saying on their menu, which I have to share with you:  

If you go somewhere else for lunch, ask them if they bake their own bread.
If they say yes, ask them if they grind their own grain.
If they say yes, ask them if they make their own plates.

All their plates, bowls, etc come from the pottery next door.  And talk about a great smelling place...the smell of fresh bread baking is everywhere. 
To end our mini vacation, my sister and I dropped the weary travelers off at the hotel and headed out to the outlet mall.  Woo hoo!  My sis says that I shop vicariously through her.  Vicarious shopping is a blast.  Try it! I must say our best purchase of the night was this...
(Salted Caramel Mocha and a Skinny Latte)
Today, I have on a favorite apron and am busy in the kitchen whipping up pumpkin pies, homemade triple layer carrot cake, fresh cranberry with orange and ginger, pans of dressing and and prepping a host of other sides.  Mr Turkey and I have a date for later tonight when I will give him a rub down of herb butter and get him ready for the oven.  I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse



Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, take me with you next time! The old mill antiques, the colors, the experiences, all wonderful.

    Joyous Thanksgiving to you and yours,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon for visiting. Sure, come along anytime! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Hello!! Pleased to meet you!! I am going to sign up to follow you too so I can get to know you better. Thanks so much for your visit and kind comments!!
    I will be doing a lot of posting over on my Christmas blog from here on in until the holidays are over so I hope you will visit me there too!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie. I am looking forward to reading your posts during the Christmas season. Thanks for stopping by and come back soon. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful trip, especially this time of the year. I know, because I have precious relatives in Morristown and Knoxville. Your pictures bring back memories for me. I can taste that hot apple turnover and cider! Glad you had the opportunity to go. A great state and special people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wish we had relatives in TN! It is a great state and I love the mountains. Thank you Judy for visiting me and come back soon. I am looking forward to visiting you often!
      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
    2. My mom reminded me that I do have relatives in TN...which I knew, but I was thinking more of ones living in Pigeon Forge area. In case my sweet cousins are reading...I haven't forgotten where you live, just meant closer to Dollywood!

      Delete
  4. Sharon,
    Thank you for stopping by at crazyquilter.blogspot.com to leave your comments about being tempted to quilt.
    I loved reading about your journey to TN for a few days and thank you for posting all the lovely images from your time there.
    My visits to the States relate to where my family live and so far I have been to Dallas, California and Washington to visit with them.
    I think I would like to add TN from your lovely imagery. Especially like the Christmas Place. We just don't do Christmas like you do and it is lovely to see what is done here.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy,
      I think you will enjoy TN. It is a beautiful state. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughtful comment. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. I love the Apple Barn- love their restaurant too and apple fritters. We have spent a lot of time in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Great pics!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn,
      I didn't mention the apple fritters, but do I love them! I also love the apple julep they serve at each meal...yum! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  6. So wonderful post, the story and the pictures. Thnak you so much for leeting us see your part of this world.
    Here in Norway is now winter time, dark and gloomy. But, once in a while the sun shines and it is glorious. God's way of showing that there is always beuaty around.
    Happy thnakgiving to all of you out there.
    You made me long for turkey:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy for the lovely comments. I know that there must be some glorious sites in Norway. I think of a charming village with moonlight shining off the snow and warm lights glowing from the windows. As you mentioned, God does show us the beauty of His work in all things. Many blessings!

      Delete
  7. Everything sounds yummy. When you said you had a date with Mr. Turkey, I thought you were talking about your husband. I figured it out soon after the rubbing of herb butter on him. Ha. I'm a little slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!!! I loved your comment! My husband does love a rub down on aching muscles, but the herb butter wouldn't be his choice of rub downs. More like "Atomic Bomb" that they used when he played college football. It stinks and burns, but does a number on tight muscles. Thanks for the laugh! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. This place is just my style! I wish it weren't so far away. Thanks for sharing!

    Karen
    Idaho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thanks for visiting and following! You will need to take a trip to TN. You will love it!
      Blessings from Still Woods

      Delete
  9. What a fun outing with your loved ones! I would love to walk around that village. Love the old buildings and the chapel is adorable! Thank you for sharing at my HOME and have a beautiful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have really taken be back. We used to live in TN and took many trips to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. You highlighted some of my faves. Thank you for giving me my own little mini vacation. So glad I found your lovely blog. I am now happily following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am visiting from Rose Chintz Cottage. Wow, those photos are amazingly Christmas-sy :) Love the chapel, very cute!

    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just discovered your blog and I do love it! Tenn. is my favorite place to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot